Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Day 32

So I kinda woke up because technically I didn't sleep at all last night. I have no idea why but I couldn't get any sleep and was just laying in my sleeping bag all night eyes wide open. The hike right off the bat was actually kinda hard. We had a big 16 mile day today and most of the really hard stuff was later in the day. Once I finished the starting up hill it was back to some rock climbing which I don't really like doing. I finished that off and hit this dirt road that the AT went along for a good 3 miles. Once I finished that we had a very steep down hill that was all small and big rocks. About half way down I planted my left foot down on a rock and my ankle gave out towards the left. I have done this plenty of times on both my ankles but this time was different. Right when I replaced my foot this immense amount of pain that I have never felt before shot into my brain. I knew right off that bat that something really bad has happened. I sat down and realized that I was completely fucked. I had 1.4 miles of down hill and .8 miles till the next shelter. Jessica came across me and was saying she had a feeling she was about to come across me really hurt and she definitely did this time. So I had to hike down this hill which I did and it took me forever and was super painful. I sat in the gap which was .8 from the shelter. Jessica went ahead to see if she could find some help. So I started slowly going up the mountain so I could get to the shelter and rest. I got to the shelter and not a single person was there so I was kinda confused and pissed at the same time. I checked the shelter log and Jessica said she got to the shelter and no one was at the shelter and she kept on going ahead which I was totally fine with her doing that because there really wasn't much she could do. I checked the hiker guide book and managed to find a road gap 2.8 miles away from the shelter which had a hostel 2.5 miles down the road. I took some serious pain killers from my emergency pills and started the hike. It took me almost 3 hours just to do 2.5 miles. I was literally crawling and using my hiking polls as crutches. Got picked up at the gap and crashed in the hostel. Cool owner who right when I got there made me a cheese burger because he said "You sure look like you could use a cheese burger and a Gatorade" in his country accent.

Here is a picture of what my ankle looked like right before I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment